Cheesy Veggie Spaghetti
1 large spaghetti squash
Canola oil spray
2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP flour
1 cup 1% milk
1 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
Salt and pepper
1 tsp grated parmesan, optional garnish
1. To prepare spaghetti squash, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Poke spaghetti squash on all sides with a fork or knife. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and place squash on sheet. Roast in oven until tender, about 50-60 minutes.
2. Remove squash from oven, and let cool. Once it's safe to handle, cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard seeds. Using a fork, scrape flesh into a large bowl.
3. Add in steamed broccoli florets to bowl and set aside.
4. In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium heat and whisk in flour. Add milk and whisk quickly. Turn heat down to low, add both cheeses to saucepan, and stir until melted. Removed from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pour cheese sauce over spaghetti squash and broccoli mixture, and toss until evenly coated.
6. Serve in bowls and top with parmesan to garnish.
4 medium white potatoes (peeling optional)
2 TBSP vegetable oil or canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x13pan.
2. Cut potatoes into long, thick strips and pat dry.
3. Toss potatoes with vegetable oil
4. Spread coated strips in one layer in pan.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning frequently, until potatoes are golden brown and tender.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.