Decatur, Ill - Tonight's dinner will be the easiest ever. All the recipe use five ingredients.
Caitlin Huth, nutrition and wellness educator for the U of I Extension DeWitt, Macon, and Piatt counties
March is National Nutrition Month.
University of Illinois Extension is hosting the 5-part series, “Your Diet, Your Kitchen.” Each hands-on class covers ideas to make mealtime simple and quick. The freezer meal class was a success in January.
Join us for next class on March 27 on 5 Ingredient Fix at the Macon County Extension Office in Decatur from 5-7pm. Other classes include no-cook meals, 30-minutes meals, and one-pot meals.
In honor of the 5 Ingredient Fix class, see two recipes below:
Skillet Spaghetti (6 servings)
Serve with a lettuce salad for a full meal.
1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 (28-ounce) jar of spaghetti sauce
1-1/2 cups water
8-ounce spaghetti pasta, broken in half, uncooked
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. In a 12-inch skillet, cook meat until brown. Drain fat and return meat to pan.
2. Add spaghetti sauce and water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
2. Add spaghetti and stir into sauce.
3. Reduce heat and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently. (Add more water if the mixture appears too dry.)
4. Serve with cheese.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving) - Calories 280 ~ fat 6 g ~ calories from fat 50 ~ sodium 620 mg ~ total carbohydrate 45 g ~ fiber 4 g
Baked Pesto Chicken (4 servings)
Try this chicken between a sandwich roll or over whole-grain pasta.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup prepared pesto
1 large tomato, sliced
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
2. Cut each chicken breast in half. Place in a bowl and toss with pesto. Place chicken into baking dish and cover with foil.
3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until chicken reaches a minimum temperature of 165°F.
4. Remove foil. Top chicken evenly with tomato slices and cheese. Bake uncovered 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving) - Calories 320 ~ fat 16 g ~ calories from fat 144 ~ sodium 500 mg ~ total carbohydrate 5 g ~ fiber 1 g