A girl noticed a man standing on the north side of John Street. As she crossed, she saw him jog over to her. The man asked the girl's name twice and questioned if she was walking home from school.
The girl did not answer and crossed the street again, but the man followed her. As she started to run, she saw him turn and walk toward Centennial High School.
Police are offering tips for parents to share with children:
1. Trust their instincts about people and situations. If the situation or environment doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
2. Avoid assisting strangers with finding directions, lost pets or other requests. Adults know to get assistance and it should not be from a child.
3. Be aware of their surroundings at all times, especially if they feel like they are being followed.
4. Yell, scream or kick to get the attention of others.
5. Tell a trusted adult; someone they feel will believe them and act on their concerns.
6. Contact police immediately, it increases the likelihood of officers locating a potential suspect.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers. You can remain anonymous and may earn a cash reward.
Champaign County Crime Stoppers
(217) 373 - TIPS
Text: CCTip + info to CRIMES (274637)
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.