Cause of dorm fire determined

By Betty Simpson |

Published 01/26 2014 11:38PM

Updated 01/27 2014 06:22PM

Update: 1:26 pm, 1/27/14, Monday
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS -- The cause of the fire which forced the evacuation of students from Sherman Hall was determined to be electrical and accidental in nature. Crews from both Champaign and Urbana responded about 7:30 pm, Sunday, to the 900-block of South Fifth Street.

Fire had broken out in room 655. Firefighters found light smoke in the sixth floor hallway and heavy smoke in the room. A sprinkler system kept the fire under control until help arrived. Damage is estimated at $10,000. No one was hurt.
Original: 10:11 pm, 1/26/14, Sunday
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS -- Students were evacuated because of a dorm fire. It happened about 8 pm, Sunday on the sixth floor of Sherman Hall. No one was hurt. The cause has yet to be determined.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business