County officials gear up to issue same-sex marriage licenses

By Anna Carrera

Published 05/13 2014 03:48PM

Updated 05/13 2014 05:13PM

CHAMPAIGN COUNTY -- Officials hope for a smooth transition between civil unions and marriage for same-sex couples in the state. Starting June 1, couples will legally be able to make the switch.

Champaign County Clerk Gordy Hulten says it should be pretty straight-forward. June 1 is a Sunday, but Hulten plans to open his office for a few hours anyway; from 1 - 4 pm.

There are 206 same-sex couples in Champaign County who already have civil unions. The state has been issuing them since 2011. If you want to get yours switched over, you have a year to get it done without costing a cent. Just go to the clerk's office, fill out an application, show your ID and your certificate from your civil union.

Because of the demand he expects, Hulten says opening on a weekend felt like the right thing to do. The date on the new marriage certificate will be the same as when couples got their civil unions. If you got yours in a different county but have since moved to Champaign County or want to get one here, you can do that as well. It will just take a little more paperwork the day of.

The clerk's office has also been issuing same-sex marriage licenses since February. Hulten says you can contact his office for any questions about the process.

Some counties in the state have already started giving out same-sex marriage licenses. In Champaign County, 59 same-sex licenses have been issued since February. Three have been given to couples in Macon County. The clerk there also plans to open June 1, from 1 - 3 pm.

For more information, click here, email here or call (217) 384 - 3724.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business