Drilling causes gas leak

By Erica Quednau | equednau@wcia.com

Published 03/17 2014 03:56PM

Updated 03/17 2014 05:19PM

CHAMPAIGN -- The fire department responded to a gas leak near campus at the intersection of First Street and Gerty Drive. It happened early Monday afternoon. Crews were installing lights on the curb when someone accidentally drilled too far. It struck a gas main causing the leak.

Firefighters went to surrounding buildings to make sure no gas was detected. Ameren was also called out. Crews say there's no danger to anyone in the area. The street will be closed for a few hours as repairs are made.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business