Storm leaves damage & debris in its wake

By Anthony Antoine |

Published 06/04 2014 04:01PM

Updated 06/05 2014 11:18AM

Update: 10:06 pm
MAHOMET -- It took a lot of manpower and some heavy equipment to clean up town. Tuesday night's storm left a big mess. WCIA-3's Anthony Antoine was in town while homeowners sifted through debris.

"I kind of saw a great big flash of lightning, then I heard the boom of the thunder and I didn't know it did all this damage. I waited until I got up this morning."

When Anthony Early looked at the back of his house, his oak tree had created a new window in the attic. And it comes with a big price tag.

"Four or five thousand before we're done."

It takes an even bigger piece of equipment to move it.

"What they're going to need is a crane. They have to lift that thing up to get it out."

"We're going to park a larger crane, much larger than this one, out in the front and we're going to reach over from the street, over the house, over the pine tree and then lift that out in sections and set it down out here."

To give you an idea about the size of these trees scattered across town, take a look at this one. It's at least five feet wide.

"I'm waiting on the insurance adjuster."

Across town, Pamela Kenyon Mays is thankful to be alive.

"I always leave before a storm. I almost thought about riding this one out last night and I'm so thankful that I did go ahead and leave."

She got home, only to see her trailer cut in half. The strong 70 mile per hour winds sent this tree into her living room.

"Next step is to get the tree cut out of the trailer and get it secured up. I'm glad that's all that was damaged and nobody was hurt."

No one was hurt. Both homeowners had insurance.
Original: 4:01 pm
MAHOMET -- Homeowners woke up to lots of damage after Tuesday night's storms. Workers picked up knocked down trees. Insurance company reps were in town to assess damages.

Homeowners say they did what they could to rebound from the storm. Strong winds, rain and lightning made their presence known. Workers say most of the damage happened in sections. In some instances, they were working on homes just feet away from each other.

One home had roof damage. Because of the size of the tree, workers needed heavy equipment to get it removed. Debris made its way onto streets. A few roads were closed, but things are getting back to normal.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.