- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on their neighborhood rounds.
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review the route that is acceptable to you. Agree on a specific time when they should return.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Stay in a group and communicate where you are going.
- Remember reflective tape for costumes and trick-or-treat bags.
- Carry a cellphone for quick communication.
- Stay on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk.
- Never cut across yards or use alleys.
- Don't assume the right of way. Motorists may have trouble seeing trick-or-treaters.
- Do not cross the street between parked cars or out driveways.
Police say to notify law enforcement if you see any suspicious activity.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.