Eye On Weather

70°F
Sponsored by

Drilling causes gas leak

CHAMPAIGN -- The fire department responded to a gas leak near campus at the intersection of First Street and Gerty Drive. It happened early Monday afternoon.
CHAMPAIGN -- The fire department responded to a gas leak near campus at the intersection of First Street and Gerty Drive. It happened early Monday afternoon. Crews were installing lights on the curb when someone accidentally drilled too far. It struck a gas main causing the leak.

Firefighters went to surrounding buildings to make sure no gas was detected. Ameren was also called out. Crews say there's no danger to anyone in the area. The street will be closed for a few hours as repairs are made.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Do You Have a News Tip?


If you have any story ideas or a news tip,  let our news desk know.