Eye On Weather

51°F
Sponsored by

Firefighters urge kitchen safety

URBANA -- Firefighters remind people to be extra careful around the house.
URBANA -- Firefighters remind people to be extra careful around the house. The National Fire Protection Association says the kitchen is the number one place where fires start in a home and it's not always on the stove.

Experts warn toasters, microwaves, even coffee makers, can be the cause. Firefighter, Chad Hensch, says staying calm and prepared is one of the best ways to manage a kitchen fire.

"Should something get out of control, you could smother it by oxygen and so you don't burn your hand, have an oven mitt so you can turn off the stove and take the fire problem away," says Hensch.

The push to be safe is part of Fire Prevention Week.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Do You Have a News Tip?


If you have any story ideas or a news tip,  let our news desk know.