Eye On Weather

68°F
Sponsored by

Man sees neighbors wheeled out on stretchers

CHAMPAIGN -- A man found out the bodies he saw on stretchers, were neighbors he saw just days ago.
CHAMPAIGN -- A man found out the bodies he saw on stretchers, were neighbors he saw just days ago. Police say the two victims were in their 70's. Officials believe they inhaled carbon monoxide. It happened Tuesday afternoon in the 700-block of Goldenview Drive.

It was hard for family members to catch their breath after they found what was beyond the front door.

"There was smoke coming out of the front door."

Julian Hoban was standing across the street when he saw the victim's family run inside.

"They came back outside. The woman was screaming and on the ground. The man was calling 911," Hoban said.

But it was too late. When firefighters got on scene they tried to revive the victims, but they were unresponsive. Firefighters saw a smoking grill they believe the victims were using to keep their home warm. The odor still fills the neighborhood.

"It's gotten me shaken up to be honest," Hoban said.

Hoban says the two were always friendly. They'd talk at the bus stop nearly every day.

"They would let my grandmother stay under their garage if it's raining out. They were always really nice and always talk to us."

Now there are different people standing under the garage still in shock their family members are gone.

"It's really sad to see this happen."
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Do You Have a News Tip?


If you have any story ideas or a news tip,  let our news desk know.