Summertime can bring increased dangers to kids – they are outside in sun, playing the water and can be less supervised that during the school. Now is a great time for kids – and parents – to take advantage of a free course offered at Carle to keep kids safe. Tegan Stynoski, RN, BSN, CEN SANE-A, Carle Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence coordinator, is here with Jaya Kollisetty, Associate Director of RACES, to talk about the upcoming free safety course and to demonstrate some lifesaving self-defense moves.
So first off, tell us why this so important for kids to learn about personal safety?
* Have knowledge and confidence to make positive choices about their own safety
* Address common threats to kids including:
o Fire and emergency safety
o Water and bike safety
I understand Carle is hosting, along with RACES, a free five-day course for kids ages 5-12. What will the kiddos be learning?
* How to spot a bad touch
* When to dial 9-1-1
* Handling bullies
* How to fight back, when appropriate
So just one part of the course is self-defense, what do you say to parents who are fearful their kids may use their newly acquired skills inappropriately?
* Spend a lot of time talking about when it’s appropriate to use the physical skills
* Reinforce the concept over the five-days
Can you demonstrate a few of the self-defense moves the kids will be learning?
* 1st up Rad kids stance – step back, hands up, yell stay back or stop
* Hammer Fist – help them escape a hold
What the details and where can you learn more?
* RADkids Personal Empowerment Course
* July 9-13
* Ages 5-7 and 8-12
Earl Stevens from Mobile Mutts joins the Morning Show and in this…
Susan Johnston, ReStore volunteer and past board member with Habitat…
A Roseanne Spinoff is in the works. Alex has the details.